Benefits of Hoyer Lift
Hoyer Lift is another assistive device used in homes and hospitals to help with patient and elderly care. It is a kind of hydraulic or sling lift that safely transfers patients from a bed to a wheelchair or another resting locations. Its main advantage is that it reduces the workload required of the caregiver who, otherwise, have to carry the patients themselves. It gives mobility to bed ridden patient. It is actually designed based on a simple crane structure with an overhanging hanger to lift the user.
How Hoyer Lift Works
1. It is a simple device which comprises of a few core functions that makes it work. It is on wheels which allow the patient to be moved to a further location conveniently. When the caregiver is about to hoist the patient, brakes on the wheels should be applied to stabilize the system when the lifting is in process.
2. When the lift is in position, the assistant can lower the hanger using a strong hydraulic lift until it is just above the user. The hydraulic lift is strong enough to withstand weights of users up to 150kg. You do not have to worry about the structure toppling as it is made of strong steel and is mechanically designed to function safely.
3. Both ends of the hanger is tied to a sling mat. When the hanger is just above the user on the bed, the assistant needs to instruct the user to lie on his or her side. The assistant will slip the mat underneath the patient. The patient then returns back to lying position. The assistant will then pull the mat from the other side until the user is fully resting on the center of the mat.
4. Next the sling mat is secured to the hanger on both ends, check that the buckles are all safely in position and the hooks are tightened. Gently pump the hydraulic to lift the user in a slow and steady manner. When fully lifted, the patient should be in a half sitted position to facilitate easy resting on wheelchairs.
5. Once the user is lifted, the brakes on the lift can be removed and the patient can be pushed around to the end location. The Hoyer lift should be moved slowly to reduce excessive swinging that can cause disturbance to the user. Slowly adjust the lift such that the user is in a comfortable position to be lowered onto a chair. The slings on the hanger can then be removed and the transfer process is completed.
Cost of Hoyer Lift
A typical Hoyer lift can cause anywhere between $1000 to $2000 depending on the power capacity. Other brands of patient lifts include Drive Electric, Invacare, Drive Power, Lumex and Drive Bariatric.